Saturday, May 2, 2009

Louie's Not Dead!

Anyone who was at the 30th reunion will probably remember that the rumor was that Louie Baldwin was dead! I was particularly heartbroken to have learned that....Louie was very special to me back in the Union Avenue days.

So, very early in the reunion planning, I somehow got Michael Maenza's phone number. (Yes, Michael will be there!) Maybe I got it from Lonnie Horwitz. (Yes, with his wife Jan). Anyway, I called Michael and during our chat I asked about Louie. Or maybe Louie came up. I don't remember. I'm old. You are a group I can't lie about my age to. So, I said to Michael M.: "I heard that Louie had died" and Michael got, well, I guess he got angry...and he said, "I can't believe they have him dead again"! After extracting a promise that he would get my contact info to Louie, we hung up.

A couple weeks later, late on a Sunday night, I was awakened from a sound sleep by the phone. My husband, who usually works the overnight, happened to be home and I heard him chatting away. Next thing I know he's asking me if I wanted to talk to Louie Baldwin!!!! Hah, as if????


So, I was on the phone FOREVER with Louie, catching up on 40 years of memories. He sounds absolutely alive, and is definitely coming to the reunion. He will be staying at OP Saturday night. Perhaps Friday as well; he hasn't made definite arrangements yet.

More later....when I talked to Eliot Fried (yes, alone!) he suggested that I publish a list of everyone who is coming to the reunion. I'll get to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment