Monday, August 10, 2009

Lunch with Meryl

I know...I say this every time I connect with yet another classmate, but the thing that continues to strike me is how easy and how natural these connections are. I had lunch with Meryl today. She was in Long Branch...her mom has a summer place on the beach, and I work at Monmouth University. So we met at one of my favorite Jersey Shore casual eateries...Surf Taco. I walked in and scoured the joint, looking for Meryl, and I didn't think I saw her. Went outside to wait, and moments later she came looking for me from inside. I didn't recognize her because her hair is much lighter than I remember. Other than that...she's still the Meryl I remember from 6th grade. Oh...except that she's taller than me now!

Her mom is almost as into this reunion as we are, and had given Meryl an envelope of pictures from her Bat Mitzvah. My, but we were adorable! I meant to grab a copy to scan so I could put them up here, but I forgot to take them.

We just talked and talked....funny how this many years later we're still learning new things about each other. Meryl told me...and of course I have to confirm this with my dad....but Meryl told me that her mother told her that she had dated my dad....and that in fact, my dad had proposed to her mother. Interesting to wonder what sort of offspring that coupling would have produced. The one thing I can guarantee...there'd be no height!

I had to cut the lunch short; I had a meeting back on campus, but I really enjoyed my lunch with Meryl.

No comments:

Post a Comment