Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Anniversary that Wasn't


About a month or so ago, Mike called me at work and asked me if I wanted to go away for our anniversary.  Our 16th anniversary.  We'd gotten what I'd have considered junk mail.  An invitation from several Atlantic City hotels to come and stay at a very reduced rate.  Mike said that the night of our anniversary would be free; just room tax.

Since he was willing to make all the arrangements, I went along with it.  He booked the room at Bally's and made dinner reservations at Ruth's Chris.  My only job, and it was a big one, was to find overnight babysitting, a task made even more challenging because our anniversary was on a Thursday, a school night.

My neighbor, and bff, Karen, said that if I couldn't find anyone else, she'd stay at our house and get David on the bus Friday morning, but as it turned out, my niece (Jack's daughter) Jessica and her boyfriend Mike came down, took David out to dinner, stayed the night, and got him on the bus in the morning.

We had a delightful night.  Dinner was excellent.  We had a beautiful corner room.  Just a really nice night.  Next morning we got up, bought a couple treats for David, and headed home.

When we got home, Mike called our friend Mindy.  She and her husband, also Mike, got married the same weekend as us, at the same place as us, the year after us.  In the course of their conversation, Mike wished her a Happy Anniversary, tomorrow.  "Silly", she said, "our anniversary was yesterday.  Yours is tomorrow".  Mike went into the dining room, where our Ketubah is hanging, and sure enough, our anniversary is the 13th, not the 11th.

Oh, well.  The weather was better on the 11th anyway!

1 comment:

  1. I am thrilled to always share our anniversary of one year less with one of our favorite couples...11 or 13... what is the difference... Love you both

    ReplyDelete